Monday, July 6, 2009

We Made it to Misawa, Japan!!

It was a hellacious trip! Gilbert and I had to fly separately from VA to D.C. I had to wait about 4 hrs for our 14 hr flight to Tokyo. The cats were perfectly fine. They were very quiet. Unfortunately I had a middle seat. I felt very trapped. Every time anyone got up next to us on both sides I tried to get out to walk around. My feet and legs still swelled up and it was very painful. :( I was tired, but could not sleep. Mostly watched the movies they showed on screen in the seat in front of me. We actually flew over MN! Since we flew to Narita, we pretty much flew right over and past Misawa. But this is what the military had planned for us. So, we had to backtrack by train.

Once we got to Narita Airport we had a long customs line to go through. Then off to get our luggage and go to animal quarantine to submit our paperwork. Then we had to figure out the train lines. So we had take 3 different trains to end up in Misawa. They have reserved and unreserved trains. First train was was less than an hour, we had seats. The next train was an hour later, and we needed every second. We had to find it, and it was pretty far away. We had 3 suitcases (carry-ons were able to squeeze in them) and Gilberto's huge sea bag. Not to mention the 2 pet carriers!

This was Tokyo train station. It was crazy busy there! By this time I was sooo crabby and tired! Poor Berto! So, the train that we had to go on next was for 2 and a half hours! And the bad part was that we couldn't get seats! We had to be in a car standing room only! Well, we sat on suitcase, but it was very uncomfortable. I got a typical Japanese meal in a box. It was chicken and sticky rice. There was other types of noodles and things I didn't recognize. Some funky looking mushrooms too. I ate most of it, I really wished I would have taken a pic.




Then the last train to Misawa. Berto's sponsor was there waiting for us! It was the last train for the night, right around midnight. We didn't even know he was gonna pick us up! Just glad we didn't have to cab it! And getting his help was GREAT! So we then go on base to take the cats to the pet kennel. They had to come in especially for us at that hour! Then it was time to go to the "Anchor's Inn" navy lodge. It's really nice, has a kitchen and anything we could need. (Except for A/C) There is Wifi, but in the lounge which is on other side of building and first floor (we are on 3rd floor). There's plenty of food places including a 24 hr diner within walking distance.

I will post more and also I need to finish figuring out how to edit this. It's not set up how I would like it to be yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment