Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Food








Had a conversation a while back with Berto.  He had never heard of tator tot hotdish!!  The travesty!  That lead to talks of chicken pot pie and meatloaf.  Since all three were dishes I had never made myself.  We decided that was something we were going to try to make together.  So, I did some research, looked at recipes, and got ingredients.  We made them over the course of Berto's 2 week vacation.  I know these are NOT the healthiest, but come on, I've never made them before.  

First up was the tator tot hotdish.  I have fond memories of school lunches in elementary school.  I thought their TTHD was great!  I couldn't decide if I should put peas or corn.  I think peas are more traditional, but I like corn better.  And I had to use pearl onions, not a usual thing in my shopping cart.  There was tots lined on the bottom and the top.  There was a small amount of sour cream in it.  Had to tell the hubby this AFTER he ate it.  He HATES sour cream...weirdo!!!  The TTHD turned out great.  Berto loved it.  I believe he had thirds!

Next, was the chicken pot pie.  To me, a good CPP is more about the filling.  The crust is good, but I'd rather have more of the yummy vegetables swimming in the sauce.  I decided to use the Pillsbury crescent rolls in a can instead of making my own or pastry sheets/crust.  Used a large glass pan instead of a pie pan.  I had enough filling for 2 pies, or my large glass pan.  Took the sheet of crescent rolls and broiled both sides, that was for the bottom.   It turned out awesome!  Hubby was amazed at how good it was.  I'm more amazed he went 32 years without ever having tator tot hotdish AND a chicken pot pie before!  There was also a bit of sour cream mixed in.....shhhhh.

Lastly, was the meatloaf.  I've had meatloaf only a handful of times in my life, and it's my own fault.  A long time ago, my step dad made a meatloaf.  Me, as a little brat; wouldn't let him off the hook for it turning out bad.  I really barely remember the meatloaf.  But, I went on and on about how horrible it was.  He never made meatloaf again!  I was a bully!  Sorry Larry!!!  

Anyways, I ended up using Emeril's Most Kicked-Up Meatloaf Ever.  That's really the name of it.  I adjusted slightly since I didn't have veal or  fresh herbs.  And this recipe had BACON and sausage.  Yum!  I also had to sneak in some Dijon mustard.  The hubby can be SO picky!  It turned out really good.  Nice and juicy with a ton of flavor.  It seemed to take a really long time to put together though.  Then again, it could have been that Patron margarita!!!  We served with garlicky mashed potatoes and velvetta shells.  We usually only make shells when our friend Nigel comes over.  He is super picky but he loves shells.  

I was very happy with all three meals.  But, I probably won't make them again any time soon since they are so fattening.  We'll stick to our favorites, salmon and roast chicken with a side of spinach salad.

4 comments:

  1. Were you staying with us already when my friend Lavahn sent over the tater tot hotdish?? It was so good and I promised myself I would try to make it sometime. I haven't yet! Yours looks great, and so do the meatloaf and the pot pie!! Impressive, Kiki!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Ana, I saw the leftovers. It looked really good.

    ReplyDelete